[Gllug] Transparent Terminal

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Dec 7 14:32:04 UTC 2004

Nix writes:

>That's a deeply silly test. Of *course* konsole has a higher
>initialization overhead than rxvt: it's got DCOP registration and who
>knows what else to do

But that's the point -- I don't want it to do any of those things.
I just want a terminal. Hence I use rxvt rather than konsole.

>But the common use case for terminal emulators is *not* `start one per
>command'. It's `start one and work in it for some time'.

Speak for yourself. I use terminals as throwaway items. Bound to a hotkey
combination in fvwm, I frequently bring up a new terminal to check something
(whether it's reading a man page, running up dc or whatever), and then close
them down when I'm done. That becomes far less feasible when your terminal
launch time is more than instantaneous. Again, hence rxvt.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk