[Gllug] Recommended distro

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 18:07:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 10:17 +0000, Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:11:46 +0000
> Richard Turner <richard at zygous.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > So, even given that I'm not a base-level desktop user, I'm still not
> > sure what Debian would provide for me that other distros won't.  The one
> > thing I can think of is that I could install it, spend ages making sure
> > that services like netfilter, ntp, etc. are configured OK (the kind of
> > thing that SuSe or FC installers do for you) and then not have to bother
> > ever again because I could do 'apt-get dist upgrade' instead of having
> > to reinstall when a new release comes along.  This might be enough for
> > me, so I may try Debian, but it's not a convincing enough argument for
> > me to be totally swayed.
> >

> On RH/FC
>
> yum -y update
>
> is your friend.

Oh yeah, I know, but I'm not quite brave enough to trust a dist upgrade
to yum, or indeed apt4rpm.  I've seen a HOWTO somewhere on reconfiguring
one's yum.conf file in FC2 to point to FC3 repos and then using yum to
dist upgrade, but I didn't fancy it.

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

B53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3  4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E