[Gllug] Recommended distro

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 18:18:28 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 18:09 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Sun 12 Dec, Richard Turner wrote:
>

> > I don't really understand the security update situation with 'testing'
> > and 'unstable' - could someone point me in the direction of a good
> > explanation of why I can (pretty-much) expect testing not to screw-up my
> > system?
> >
>    There is a dedicated security team working on Debian "stable" with the
> sole purpose of sorting bugs. See Debian -- Debian Releases
>
> http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/

So if I want to run Evolution 2.x, as I do at the moment (with security
patches) I must use 'unstable'.  That's fine, because it's only my home
system, but what happens when somebody finds a security flaw in it?  An
upgrade to the latest version available with the hole fixed but untested
system-wide repercussions?  Don't take that as a criticism - if that's
the way it's done then that's the way it's done - I'm just seeking
clarification.

> > Everyone says such marvellous things about Debian, and I'm technically
> > savvy enough to cope with using it, so I sometimes feel that I should
> > start using that instead of FC3; however, for my home workstation, I've
> > yet to see a concrete, objective argument why I should.
> >
>    Most anti-Debian comments relate to the rather long-winded installer that
> came with the current stable "woody", I suggest you try the new installer
> for "sarge" which is currently in testing. Use either floppies or the
> "businesscard" ISO image or netboot, not the netinstall ISO image as that
> only contains a "vanilla" 386 kernel. See Debian -- Debian ”sarge• Release
> Information
>
> http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/testing/

Yeah, I've seen it in action and it's much better than Woody's one, but
the installer's something I'd only use once so I'm not really bothered
about such things :)

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

B53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3  4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E