[Gllug] Address range on D-link 300G+ modem

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Dec 7 10:23:09 UTC 2004

Henrik Morsing writes:

>Because of work requirements I got a four address range from my ISP. Had
>until now just had one static address. Well, my modem (which basically is an
>DHCP activated bridge thingy) picks up the first address correctly (.233)
>but says the following address (.234) is the PPP address at my ISP. This
>doesn't work.

I had exactly the same problem with a D-Link DSL-300T. I never did
manage to find a satisfactory solution. As a clumsy hack, you can
turn it into a proper router, rather than a bridge. ssh into the
modem (user root, password admin). Manually add a default route:

	route add default via ppp0

Then set the default route on your PC to be the IP address of the
D-Link box. The problem is that every time the link is dropped (which
with ADSL happens surprisingly frequently) although it will automatically
reconnect the ppp interface, it doesn't set the route. Thus each time it
does it, you need to log in and reset the default route.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk