[Gllug] Recommended distro

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 09:29:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 09:14:11PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Christian Smith muttered drunkenly:
> > Yeah, that's more along the lines I was thinking of. Any server should
> > have ECC memory.
>
> These days, any *desktop* should. The cells in modern RAM chips are
> small enough and there's enough RAM fitted that bit-flipping via cosmic
> rays and (particularly) alpha particle emission from the chip packaging
> can flip well over a bit a month: worse than that if you live on
> granite. (My 512Mb+ boxes spot a bit flip every two weeks or so.)

I considered getting ECC Ram when I upgraded my desktop from 512 Megs to
1 Gig the other week, I purchased RAM from Crucial (and needed faster
stuff due to a cpu upgrade) it would have worked out 28.5% more
expensive to get ECC, and 50% more expensive to get ECC Registered RAM.
Needless to say that seeing how I am skint I didn't bother with ECC this
time as purchasing it would have meant either not upgraded the cpu or
getting the new gfx card which would have made the whole point of the
upgrade pointless really :)

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem