[Gllug] Recommended distro

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Dec 14 21:14:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Christian Smith muttered drunkenly:
> Yeah, that's more along the lines I was thinking of. Any server should
> have ECC memory.

These days, any *desktop* should. The cells in modern RAM chips are
small enough and there's enough RAM fitted that bit-flipping via cosmic
rays and (particularly) alpha particle emission from the chip packaging
can flip well over a bit a month: worse than that if you live on
granite. (My 512Mb+ boxes spot a bit flip every two weeks or so.)

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk