[Gllug] Sun hardware/firewall memory

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Dec 22 10:17:31 UTC 2004

Ben Fitzgerald writes:

>Yes, a GUI is overkill. It's certainly not of the UNIX design
>philosophy. I would prefer a terminal. What about this sort
>of solution connected to a terminal server?:
>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/

Erm... that's an OS hack to work around the fact that the hardware doesn't
have a proper serial console. Consequently, it doesn't work in the times
when you most need a serial console -- those when the OS isn't yet running.
Remote BIOS level access is what's needed. If the OS is up, then you would
normally be able to just ssh into it, and a serial console is only useful
for debugging the kernel or for when you can't get to the box due to network
problems.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk