[Gllug] Transparent Terminal

George Wright gwright at kde.org
Mon Dec 6 08:39:17 UTC 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 08:29, Tethys wrote:
> FWIW, both KDE and GNOME are hideous bloated monstrosities that will be
> kept far from my desktop for the foreseable future. Of the two, GNOME is
> a) faster, and b) feels more natural to me. But neither provide anything
> that I don't already have with fvwm and a bunch of xterms except a loss
> of performance and flexibility.
>
> Konqueror is one of the worst parts of KDE IMHO, being simply too slow
> to use, and having a poor rendering engine to boot.

Yes, Konqueror's interface is a bit obfuscated. This is going to be looked at
in the near future. Same with other programs such as KControl.

Regarding speed, Konq loads quicker here than Firefox does. And as for the
rendering engine... works fine here for me on all the sites I use. If not,
Gecko has been ported to natively use the KDE/Qt widgets by Lars Knoll and
Zack Rusin and can be used as the rendering engine for Konqueror. What more
do you want? See http://www.kdedevelopers.org/blog/14

As for xterms vs Konsole, read Aaron Seigo's blog about it at
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2004/10/konsole-vs-xterm-or-proof-that-kde-is.html

Now please stop spreading FUD about KDE.

--
George Wright, http://www.gwright.org.uk
KDE Developer - http://www.kde.org