[Gllug] Sun hardware/firewall memory

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Dec 22 08:53:11 UTC 2004

Ben Fitzgerald writes:

>x86 boxes can have headless support. many do.

Strange definition of "many" you have there. In my experience, a
depressingly small number do.

>The dl380 can have a  hotplugable redundant power supply. And hotplug
>scsi h/w raid disks. Plus ILO - a remote monitoring tool that looks
>promising.

Don't get your hopes up. ILO is a typical example of PC engineering.
Don't give the user what they need, give them something pretty
instead! Rather than just giving us a true serial console, which is
all anyone wanted, they've overengineered it, and made remote access
to the BIOS be via a web browser with a nice GUI interface. So, then,
that doesn't work when I'm called out of hours and have to try and
fix things with my Zaurus and a 9600 connection over my mobile phone.
Meanwhile, I can connect to all of my SPARC machines and manage them
without problems. No, this isn't a contrived example. It's actually
happened to me. Sigh.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk