[Gllug] Sun hardware/firewall memory

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Wed Dec 22 09:32:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 08:53 +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Ben Fitzgerald writes:
>
> >x86 boxes can have headless support. many do.
>
> Strange definition of "many" you have there. In my experience, a
> depressingly small number do.
>
> >The dl380 can have a  hotplugable redundant power supply. And hotplug
> >scsi h/w raid disks. Plus ILO - a remote monitoring tool that looks
> >promising.
>
> Don't get your hopes up. ILO is a typical example of PC engineering.
> Don't give the user what they need, give them something pretty
> instead! Rather than just giving us a true serial console, which is
> all anyone wanted, they've overengineered it, and made remote access
> to the BIOS be via a web browser with a nice GUI interface.

I am a regular victim of ILO induced insanity. Even over a fast VPN
connection to a well connected city like Amsterdam it is depressingly
slow to try and do anything productive with ILO.

It really is a case of move the cursor to where you think you want it
and sit back and wait for it to catch up.

I appreciate it for when the server is down or bluescreened but for
normal headless use it is no good

>  So, then,
> that doesn't work when I'm called out of hours and have to try and
> fix things with my Zaurus and a 9600 connection over my mobile phone.
> Meanwhile, I can connect to all of my SPARC machines and manage them
> without problems. No, this isn't a contrived example. It's actually
> happened to me. Sigh.

Indeed... for minor tweaks to windows machines I've taken to remotely
starting the telnet service and then using netsh to change IP
configurations etc. Regardless of OS or device (UNIX, Windows, Cisco,
Nortel) text mode configuration is the most universal and reliable (if
not most fully featured)

The SSH client on my Blackberry has dug me out of the s**t on a number
of occasions :)

~sm
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk