[Gllug] subversion

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Dec 14 23:23:19 UTC 2004

Nix writes:

>Agreed. The biggest problem by far with arch now is that it makes the
>hard and nearly impossible things easy and the easy things hard. i.e.,
>someone needs to write a *lot* of wrappers to make doing operations
>that are commonly done easier to do --- you shouldn't need to use
>black magic commands to make the tea. :)

Agreed completely. Usability is what makes or breaks a version control
system. That's one of the reasons CVS has done so well, despite its
technical shortcomings. In a past life, I worked for a bank that was
migrating from raw SCCS to True Change (nee Aide-De-Camp). It was a
huge leap forwards, being change set based, rather than working with
individual files, having reasonable branching and merging tools, etc.
But the interface was horrible, and I ended up having to write a set
of wrappers just so our developers could check their changes in!

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk