[Gllug] XP Remote Desktop (was Sun hardware/firewall memory)

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Tue Dec 21 12:05:28 UTC 2004

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> Remote Desktop is just terminal services with fancier packaging.
> However, does XP Pro genuinely allow multiple remote logins or does it
> just allow a remote user to view or take over the console-user's
> existing session?  I'd wager it's the latter, with full terminal
> services only available on the server version.

I think it's more designed for 'remote support' than 'remote logon'.
You can now share your desktop through MSN Messenger, which is all built
on top of the remote desktop stuff, so there must be at least some parts
of the server built into XP.  XP does allow multiple users to be logged
in at the same time, ie. you can choose to 'switch user' rather than log
out and your running programs and desktop context are maintained in
memory, no idea how that works with Remote Desktop though.  AFAIK there
is no seperate cost for Terminal Server on Windows now (there used to be
a Windows NT Terminal Services Edition), you get the server as part of
2003 and the CALS as part of XP.

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk