[Gllug] Recommended distro

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 18:09:59 UTC 2004

On Sun 12 Dec, Richard Turner wrote:

> I don't really understand the security update situation with 'testing'
> and 'unstable' - could someone point me in the direction of a good
> explanation of why I can (pretty-much) expect testing not to screw-up my
> system?

   There is a dedicated security team working on Debian "stable" with the
sole purpose of sorting bugs. See Debian -- Debian Releases

http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/

> Everyone says such marvellous things about Debian, and I'm technically
> savvy enough to cope with using it, so I sometimes feel that I should
> start using that instead of FC3; however, for my home workstation, I've
> yet to see a concrete, objective argument why I should.

   Most anti-Debian comments relate to the rather long-winded installer that
came with the current stable "woody", I suggest you try the new installer
for "sarge" which is currently in testing. Use either floppies or the
"businesscard" ISO image or netboot, not the netinstall ISO image as that
only contains a "vanilla" 386 kernel. See Debian -- Debian ”sarge• Release
Information

http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/testing/

--
Chris Bell