[Gllug] [OT] Unlocking Mobile Phone

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 00:51:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 12:33 +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:29:34PM -0000, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> > Does anyone know anything about unlocking mobile phones ?
>
> What sort of phone is it?
>
> > Is it illegal to unlock a mobile phone ?
>
> Certainly not!  Although I'm sure the networks would like it to be ...

Are you sure? It may well be a breach of contract, which certainly isn't
*criminal*, but could theoretically leave you open to a civil suit.

> > Can anyone recommend a good company to use (as the mobile provider wants a
> > years rental to unlock the phone) ?

Yes, but the basis for this is that you haven't paid for the phone, they
have. When you've been on contract for a year, they've recouped the cost
of providing you with the handset, and then they're legally bound to
unlock it for you. To do so earlier requires buying yourself out of the
contract early.

Whatever people feel about mobile phone operators, buying a  brand new
phone for a tenner or similar on contract, then immediately unlocking it
and using it on another network (usually pay as you go) is a case of
screwing the phone company out of the cost of the handset. It's not like
DVD region codes, which are a completely unjustified trade restriction.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk