[Gllug] Recommended distro

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Dec 14 14:53:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 14:38 +0000, John Hearns wrote:

> > Of course, I could just be talking out of my arse, I'm a developer and not
> > a sys-admin, after all. But from what I've seen, I'd rather admin
> > otherwise identical SUN boxes than PC boxes any day.
> >
> Sun now make Opteron servers, two and four processor boxes.
> Having had to lift some out of racks recently I can confirm their
> engineering - the 4-way boxes are pretty beefy.
> They've got lights-out management cards etc.

ps. if anyone's interested, Sun have a nice way of cabling up the
Service Processor (IPMI) cards.
In addition to the two onboard gig-E ports there are two 10/100 ports
on the SP card. You daisy chain the servers to each other up the rack
using small Cat5 cables. Each end of the stack is connected to a switch
port. Saves running a whole bundle of cables to a rack.
Spanning tree on the switch will sort out which port to use - and if you
break the chain, half should appear on each switch port.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk