[Gllug] backup

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 19:28:39 UTC 2004

For the backup pedant's information, I thought the 'hard drive' in question
was actually a ZIP drive or similar, where it can be removed and stored in
a safe place !

I agree that no one but a lunatic would keep a sole backup on a hard drive.

We actually backup directly to a spare hard drive for speed and then immediately
'spool' the hard drive backup off to DAT, with several generations of copies
so if the last one craps out the previous one can be used. Of course, the
spare drive concerend would have difficulty being dropped from 1 metre, unless
the whole PC were lifted up !   The DAT tapes naturally are kept in a data-grade
firesafe and off-site.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk