[Gllug] ``Confidential`` .sigs

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Mon Dec 6 19:17:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 02:00:39PM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> I still subscribe to the view that Companies should not be obliged to protect
> people from their own stupidity.  I note now that transformer substations now
> say 'danger of death' rather than in the old days 'danger - high voltage'  -
> are people now so ill-educated that they do not know high voltage can kill
> (please no comments about amps vs volts!).

Actually, the "Danger of death" sign was a rather good idea - carrying
an appropriate message pictorially and consistently in words all over
the country.

The "Danger - High Voltage" signs that you sometimes see still attached
to substations - I know of one in Birmingham - varied in design and
colour depending on the local electricity board's design. There were a
number of very similar designs, but they depended entirely on words. In
some areas, red backgrounds with white text were used, in others, the
other way round. Also, in some areas, the voltage would be specified
instead of "High Voltage".

Admittedly, you do get some rather "out of place" warnings, or "teach
your grandmother to suck eggs" warnings, on things these days - one can
only presume that people have caused trouble over such things in the
past.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk