[Gllug] ``Confidential`` .sigs

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Dec 5 11:55:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004, Richard Turner stated:
> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 13:59 +0000, David Damerell wrote:
>> Consider that similar supermarket dimwits eventually replaced "10
>> items or less" with "10 items only".
>>
> Is the word "fewer" really so difficult to understand?!

`Less' and `fewer' are synonyms in that context, except that `fewer' is
clumsier without rephrasing as the slightly bizarre `Fewer than 11
items', which also doesn't carry the implication that 10 is most
probable.

HTH. :)

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk