[Gllug] ext3 disk recovery?

ben f ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 12:09:05 UTC 2004

 --- Wulf Forrester-Barker <wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk>
wrote:
> On Tuesday evening I booted up with the Morphix to
> try and run a fsck on
> the disk but to no avail. Interestingly, the BIOS
> didn't see hda when I
> first started the machine but seemed to have found
> it again after my
> first round of efforts. I span up on the Morphix
> disk again and tried
> repairing / mounting the partition again but with no
> success. The
> messages coming back were about a bad superblock.

If your filesystem is corrupt, you can repair it
(when unmounted!) with e2fsck.

You also described your disk sometimes being
recognised
by the bios and sometimes not. Perhaps the drive is
flaky and that is the underlying cause of your
filesystem problems? Consider getting a drive stress
test utility from your manufacturer's website?

Anyway, back to e2fsck!

If you have a problem with the first superblock,
try specifying a different superblock with e2fsck.

Check out man e2fsck, the -b option. Try a few
blocksizes if you don't know what block size you
chose.

Good luck!

Ben

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk