[Gllug] New worm doing the rounds?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Feb 9 16:17:28 UTC 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Richard Jones wrote:

> <rant mode="angry">
>
> Don't you think these "anti-virus" vendors could stop sending me emails
> like this:
>
>  "We have detected [Windoze worm which is well-known to fake the From:
>   header] in an email you sent to [email address I have never heard of]"
>
> It really is just plain stupid.  If you know what the worm is, then
> you know it fakes the From header, so don't send a bounce.
>
> </rant>

Even more annoying is that these "notices" generally advertise the product
used to scan the mail.

This, in my view, makes these "notices" spam as they are unsolicited
commercial emails. Also the AV vendors *know* that the sender address is
likely to be faked so they are knowingly spamming you.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk