Home support for relatives, was Re: PC World, was Re: [Gllug] SCO Stuff

Pete Ryland pdr at accucard.com
Fri Feb 13 00:45:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:01:39AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Ian Northeast moaned:
> > And he refuses to use email [...] on the grounds that if he had it
> > people would send him email:)
>
> I think this is called the `Knuth Doctrine'.

:-)  And such a refreshing doctrine that would be.

As I recall, for some time he had his secretary scan his emails, but since
the late eighties hasn't received a single email.  I shudder to think what
he would say to the crud we get inundated with these days, although I must
say he was from the day when email clients would happily jump and shout at
you when a message came in (like IM clients these days) but now people are
more understanding of email's non-instant nature IMO.  When I was at uni I
would have my email client beep at me when I got a new message.  I'd never
dream of doing that now, even during the day.

[*googles*] Heh, here's the Real Facts about him from Knuth himself:

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/email.html

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk