Home support for relatives, was Re: PC World, was Re: [Gllug] SCO Stuff

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 05:54:46 UTC 2004

Pete Ryland wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 12:01:39AM +0000, Nix wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Ian Northeast moaned:
>>

>>>And he refuses to use email [...] on the grounds that if he had it
>>>people would send him email:)
>>>

>>I think this is called the `Knuth Doctrine'.
>>

>:-)  And such a refreshing doctrine that would be.
>
>As I recall, for some time he had his secretary scan his emails, but since
>the late eighties hasn't received a single email.  I shudder to think what
>he would say to the crud we get inundated with these days, although I must
>say he was from the day when email clients would happily jump and shout at
>you when a message came in (like IM clients these days) but now people are
>more understanding of email's non-instant nature IMO.  When I was at uni I
>would have my email client beep at me when I got a new message.  I'd never
>dream of doing that now, even during the day.
>
>[*googles*] Heh, here's the Real Facts about him from Knuth himself:
>
>http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/email.html
>
>Pete

    Its a sign of the times. EMail used to be a respected form of
communication. Now thanks to SPAM and E-Mail worms, its about as
respectable as rubbish.
    What is needed is a repalment. We can try to plug the gaps in it
till the cows come home with SPF etc. But the only way to make it
respectable again is to replace it hook line a siniker, with a complete
replacement. Instant Messenging is NOT this replacement.
    Currently I have management trying to put email on a stand alone box
because they think it is so dangourous when they think the web is quite
safe, to have spread over the enter lan! (Strange people)

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk