[Gllug] Rejecting mail at backup MX

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 15:58:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 13:59, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 01:41:09PM +0000, Doug wrote:
> > I could really have used the technique for authorising addresses that
> > exim provides the other week, because one of our domains was used in a
> > joe job, and there wasn't much I could do about it - because my relays
> > had no idea what real addresses were.
>
> What do you run on your relays?  If Exim4 then rush to implement smtp
> callout (first making sure that Exchange does reject invalid mail).  If
> not, consider LDAP.
I have seen people complain about admins using callout.  I use it myself
and it cuts out thousands of spam that Spamassassin and RBLs miss or are
unsure about.

The BT guys are pretty useless and their MTAs are pretty broken (yes
they use Exim) and so I have had some difficulty working with BT's
callouts.  It is overall a fantastic idea.

(For those that have not used it: Exim tries to reject the email and
sends a test reject to the sender.  Most spammers falsify sender
addresses or use non-existant accounts and hence will either fail
because the account does not exist or because the poor user who has been
abused has a full mailbox.

I use it for earthlink, .ru, .cn hotmail and a few others)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk