[Gllug] Notebooks...

Hong Chyr chyryh at linuxmail.org
Fri Feb 27 08:20:57 UTC 2004

Dylan

The things to watch out for are video chip and modem compatibility.

I run a fujitsu notebook and its not until XFree 4.3 and Kernel 2.4.20 before my Intel830 video is fully supported (for full screen video, higher res and color, etc). Opt for a notebook with more "normal" video RAM architecture, since mine was doing RAM sharing with the main memory pool so it requires (I think) agpgart module to be configured properly to take advantage of the memory space.

Then theres the modem issue. Most notebook these days have winmodem chip in them. The fujitsu notebook I have uses the AC97 chipset (both for modem and sound). Sound was no problem, but modem remains an issue and I can only go online via the ethernet connection.

Otherwise its Linux is getting better all the time. Watching DVD is no problems now with Mplayer and Xine.

Cheers
HC