[Gllug] Rejecting mail at backup MX

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 13:48:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 01:32:12PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:15:15PM +0000, Jack wrote:
> > > There is no canonical way to deal with it.  Which mta do you use?  Exim 4
> > > offers a very simple mechanism for dealing with it but that's no use to
> > > you if you are using something else.
> >
> > Postfix.
> >
> > I use $local_recipient_maps together with $virtual_maps on my primary MX.
> > On the backup MX, I have the appropriate domains in $relay_domains.
>
> Right.  Well, if your backup MX were running Exim, you could use its
> "call forward" feature where it can (if so configured) check the
> recipients on incoming mail with the end system that it will eventually
> deliver the mail to and reject the recipient if the end system does so.
> It does this for each recipient as they are given in the course of the
> smtp conversation, so no NDRs are generated by your system.  If the end
> system can't be contacted then it can optionally defer or accept the
> recipient.

Hmmm, since the purpose of a backup MX is to receive mail while the primary
is off the net, this is somewhat self defeating. The sender would retry
later and go for the MX primary -- there are a few broken mail systems
that will not retry properly, this approach would cause problems with them.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk