[Gllug] gaim uninstall/reinstall problem

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Fri Feb 6 09:02:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Will Napier wrote:

> decided to rpm the original mandrake 9.2 rpm for gaim .75. It said that it
> was already installed. But typing gaim in the command line didn't work.
> How can I get out of this all too typical newbie experience of linux and
> at least return to using the mandrake rpm for gaim .75? I guess I have to
> uninstall but what does this mean? Grateful thanks.

rpm --erase will completely uninstall.
You might have to unistall

But make life easy for yourself - there are tools which automatically
take care of these RPM dependencies.
On Mandrake, its called uprmi (I'm not a Mandrake bod)

Or you can use Yum, my favourite.
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

There are Mandrake Yum 'repositories'

Just install this RPM:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/cooker/contrib/i586/yum-2.0.1-1mdk.noarch.html
(for Mandrake cooker)
Make sure your /etc/yum.conf points at a relevant repository and
yum install  <package>
or yum upgrade <package>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk