OT: [Gllug] Debian or Slack

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon Feb 23 19:49:04 UTC 2004

Doug Winter <doug at pigeonhold.com> writes:

> On Mon 23 Feb ben f wrote:
>> Naturally I'll look for a package first from a slack site. No point
>> creating a rod for your back. However, like the contrib rpms, I do not
>> trust slack packages created by who known whom out in the wild.
>
> This is somewhere Debian wins quite big.  They've got a huge number of
> developers contributing packages, most of which are of excellent
> quality.  You very rarely find something missing...

I must admit that, these days, the only time I seem to *compile*
packages[1] that are available as .deb's is when chasing down bugs in
them. I think I've compiled something for a performance improvement a
couple of times, and that's it.

On the other hand, the way dselect works means it's easy to just keep
adding stuff to machines - the old "look, a new package - I'll just add
it" problem.

cheers, Rich

Footnotes:
[1]  Kernel isn't a package. Not on most of the machines down
here. There's always something wrong with a package kernel...

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk