OT: [Gllug] Debian or Slack

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Feb 23 20:30:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 07:49:04PM +0000, Rich wrote:
> On the other hand, the way dselect works means it's easy to just keep
> adding stuff to machines - the old "look, a new package - I'll just add
> it" problem.

debfoster:
 debfoster is a wrapper program for apt and dpkg.  When first run, it
 will ask you which of the installed packages you want to keep
 installed.
 .
 After that, it maintains a list of packages that you want to have
 installed on your system.  It uses this list to detect packages that
 have been installed only because other packages depended on them.  If
 one of these dependencies changes, debfoster will take notice, and
 ask if you want to remove the old package.
 .
 This helps you to maintain a clean Debian install, without old
 (mainly library) packages lying around that aren't used any more.

deborphan:
 deborphan finds "orphaned" packages on your system.
 It determines which packages have no other packages
 depending on their installation, and shows you a list of
 these packages. It is most useful when finding libraries,
 but it can be used on packages in all sections.

> cheers, Rich
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  Kernel isn't a package. Not on most of the machines down
> here. There's always something wrong with a package kernel...

I've found kernel-package very useful, myself.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.