[Gllug] Rejecting mail at backup MX

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 22:53:32 UTC 2004

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:15:15PM +0000, Jack wrote:
>
> Right.  Well, if your backup MX were running Exim, you could use its
> "call forward" feature where it can (if so configured) check the
> recipients on incoming mail with the end system that it will eventually
> deliver the mail to and reject the recipient if the end system does so.

While not wishing to be too much of a cynical git, surely if the mail is
going to your backup MX, there's a reasonable bet that that might not
work too well....

> It does this for each recipient as they are given in the course of the
> smtp conversation, so no NDRs are generated by your system.  If the end
> system can't be contacted then it can optionally defer or accept the
> recipient.

If it defers, then there's not really much point in the backup MX - you
might as well let the mail queue on it's originating systems.

>  I'd be interested to know if it does.
> If not, your practical alternatives are LDAP lookups

I'd have said this was the "right way to do it" (tm). Though for a
reliable system you'd probably want replicated LDAP databases on each MX
host.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk