[Gllug] Rejecting mail at backup MX

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Feb 11 23:39:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:53:32PM +0000, Mike wrote:
> Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:15:15PM +0000, Jack wrote:
> >
> > Right.  Well, if your backup MX were running Exim, you could use its
> > "call forward" feature where it can (if so configured) check the
> > recipients on incoming mail with the end system that it will eventually
> > deliver the mail to and reject the recipient if the end system does so.
>
> While not wishing to be too much of a cynical git, surely if the mail is
> going to your backup MX, there's a reasonable bet that that might not
> work too well....

This has been thrashed out a few times in this thread, Mike.  It's
possible for a mail exchanger to be unroutable for arbitrary domain X
but visible to fellow mail exchanger Y.  If X is truly down, Y can
always fall back on some other method.

> >  I'd be interested to know if it does.
> > If not, your practical alternatives are LDAP lookups
>
> I'd have said this was the "right way to do it" (tm). Though for a
> reliable system you'd probably want replicated LDAP databases on each MX
> host.

If you are going to replicate to each host, what's the point of LDAP?
You might as well just replicate simple text or db files to each host -
it's much simpler.

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick