[Gllug] Samba problem

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 20:01:33 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I am having a problem authenticating against a samba server that
hopefully is using winbind to get the usernames and passwords from an NT
PDC.  I am using samba Version 3.0.0-15 from fedora linux.  Here is the
output of my testparm:

[root at file2 samba]# testparm
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[DEIntranet]"
Loaded services file OK.
'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with group membership.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = MYDOMAIN
         server string = File2 Samba Server
         security = DOMAIN
         password server = TEMPPDC
         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 50
         load printers = No
         os level = 33
         preferred master = No
         local master = No
         domain master = No
         dns proxy = No
         idmap uid = 10000-20000
         idmap gid = 10000-20000
         winbind separator = +
         winbind cache time = 10

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         browseable = No

[DEIntranet]
         comment = DirectEnglish Intranet
         path = /shares/directenglish
         valid users = @DirectEnglish
         read only = No

Basically, when I try this command:

[root at poop root]# mount -tsmbfs
-ousername=myusername,password=mypassword,uid=will,gid=will,workgroup=MYDOMAIN
//file2/DEIntranet /home/will/smb/de
16056: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

I get the above error, amd this in the per-machine log file on file2
(the server):

[2004/02/09 20:27:16, 0] auth/auth_util.c:make_server_info_info3(1017)
   make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?  There are other samba servers
(samba version 2) on the network that authenticate against the NT PDC,
but none of those use winbind.  I can also authenticate using the same
username and password against those servers successfully.

many thanks,
Will.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk