[Gllug] Samba problem

ben f ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 09:27:42 UTC 2004

 --- will <will at hellacool.co.uk> wrote: > Hi all,

> I am having a problem authenticating against a samba
> server that
> hopefully is using winbind to get the usernames and
> passwords from an NT
> PDC.  I am using samba Version 3.0.0-15 from fedora
> linux.  Here is the
> output of my testparm:
>
> [root at file2 samba]# testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[DEIntranet]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> 'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with
> group membership.
> Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
> Press enter to see a dump of your service
> definitions

<snip>

what does your "security" value say?

If it's set to "security = domain" the server will be
able to authenticate you by checking with an NT domain
server. This is where your winbind separator becomes
relevant. Check out smb.conf and nsswitch.conf
(you've got winbind under passwd, right?)

You may already know that! ;)

Try using wbinfo to check you can authenticate
yourself as you'd expect from the command line.

Cheers,

Ben

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk