OT: [Gllug] Debian or Slack

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Feb 23 17:34:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:00:19PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 16:52, ben f wrote:
> > Okay, you've stoked my curiosity...
> >
> > Where to deb bigots stand vs. slack (I use this term
> > in a non-flamebait way!!).
>
> Slackware is unusable in a production environment[0].  For example, how
> would you maintain your slackware server if there was no compiler
> available?  Supposing you have 10 boxes not 1, or 150?

Be fair.  Slackware has now moved out of the Stone Age wrt packaging.  I
know Patrick Volkerding's traditional answer to anybody who wanted to
upgrade a Slackware system was "You don't upgrade, you wipe everything
apart from /home and /usr/local and you reinstall." but this has
changed.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill