[Gllug] Seting up RAID level 1

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 00:51:08 UTC 2004

Nix wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Tethys muttered drunkenly:
>
>>"Daniel P. Berrange" writes:
>>

>>>Oracle will forever be a fragile PITA to get running on any new
>>>release of Linux until they stop distributing it as .o files.[1]
>>
>>Oracle will continue to be a PITA until they wake up about a lot of
>>things. Requiring root for installation is one of them. Requiring
>>X libraries to be installed is another.
>

> Requiring DISPLAY to be set when you run their installers is a third.
>
> (Xlib as root. What a great idea.)

Whenever I have installed Oracle products recently, whether on Linux or
UNIX, it has always required the X/Java "OUI" bit to be run as "oracle"
or whatever user you decide should own it, and just a couple of scripts
from the command prompt as root. Definitely no X as root.

OK it sucks and the old Curses installer they used up to 8.0 (I think)
was much easier and more reliable, but it's not as bad as it looks from
the above.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk