[Gllug] Basic Firewall Policy

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 21:29:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Harry Mantheakis wrote:

>/ I know that implementing computer security is, like home security, an
/>/ exercise in judging which risks are acceptable, and which are not.
/>/
/>/ The problem is, I have no idea how to make that judgement with computers!
/>/
/>/ So my question is: what would you consider to be the *basic* and *essential*
/>/ steps to take in respect of setting up a firewall?/

To be secure, if you are hosting a service which is to be made available
outside of you small home network, such as HTTP, I believe you would
benefit by having static IP-addresses, with Four allocated addresses
(two usable). A simple 1 ip-address setup and a free USB ADSL modem is
not ideal for this to be secure.
ukfsn.org offers this option , as do many other ISPs.

Go to http://www.ossi.co.uk/ and click on Magazine and then Linux
Firewalling for a fairly detailed article which you might find useful.
Regards,
Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk