PC World, was Re: [Gllug] SCO Stuff

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 23:03:10 UTC 2004

Phil Reynolds wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:43:07PM +0000, Ian Northeast wrote:
>
>>My family certainly seem to think I am an expert in an operating system
>>I only keep a copy of (in VMware) to support my Dad's PC. They do not
>>understand that supporting UNIX and Linux for a job does not make me a
>>Windows expert.
>

> Since I began to let my Windows skills slide, it seems my dad did too...
> he even asked me how to set the default printer in Windows XP the other
> week - not that that's changed in years.

Well you've got one over me there, Phil. I never *had* any Windows
skills. Not what I'd call skills anyway, although when I see some of the
people who "support" Windows I do wonder.

I am fortunate, I think, that at work we have a Windows server
department who not only actually do know Windows servers, but also
comprehend that there is a world outside which they need to coexist
with. Of course, I take the same attitude and cooperate with them. We
have mutual respect between our departments and neither would like to do
the other's job.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk