[Gllug] Yum or apt4rpm?

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Fri Feb 20 15:21:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 03:11:30PM -0000, stanley wrote:
> Have just installed a new hard drive I decided to update to Fedora. A very
> minimal install as I want to closely control what goes onto the system.
>
> My questions is though, which is better or which should I use Yum or
> apt4rpm. I know that yum comes with fedora and there has been some
> discussions as to using these on the list recently, but I cant really find
> any information as to which one is better or more reliable.

I'm familiar with both apt-rpm (apt4rpm is a sf project of scripts for apt-rpm
IIRC) and yum development (not to forget up2date which supports both repo
types, and the new metadata project which is happening - all one big depsolver
family).

If you are going to use apt-rpm, read Gustavo's recent article here
http://lwn.net/Articles/60650/.  The newest apt-rpm uses rpmlib, has lua for
script extensions and lots of funky features.

Better is a relative term - what features are you looking for and what
environment.  Both are easy to use and you can setup your own repositories
easily.  Yum can use more memory than apt.

https://moin.conectiva.com.br/AptRpm

Ignore the differences between apt and yum on Seth's pages - even he says so.

Personally I use a mixture of apt/yum/up2date but then I'm probably not your
standard user.  There is also rpm --aid :)

I can only suggest that you try and see what works for you.

Paul
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk