OT: Re: TMDA Re: [Gllug] New worm doing the rounds?

Kelv kelv at kelv.net
Wed Feb 18 19:15:04 UTC 2004

Alistair Mann wrote:

> And once you have rights of residence, you can do all a 
 > native can including, in America, vote.

That's incorrect. In the US you have to first have a suitable visa to 
adjust status from, such as a K-1, H-1B, etc. That makes you first a 
conditional permenent resident, or legal alien. After no less than 2 
years you must file to lift the conditional status.

You then have a 3 year wait before you can file for citizenship, and 
only at that point can you vote.

Unlike the natives, naturalized citizens can never become president 
(like you'd want the job anyway!) so no you can't do all a native can.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk

More information about the GLLUG mailing list