[Gllug] Undelete...?

Formi formi at sdf-eu.org
Sat Feb 7 13:48:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Richard Huxton wrote:

> On Thursday 05 February 2004 14:30, Jason Clifford wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Kristian Davies wrote:
> > > Is there a way of getting my file back?
> > >
> > > I realise this is a total newb question, but I find it hard to believe
> > > there is no way of recovering a file which has not been overwritten.
> >
> > That's because you are not thinking of your PC as a multi-user system.
> >
> > True multi-user multitasking systems don't really do undelete as it cannot
> > be reliable with lots of users/processes able to write to the disk.
>
> Actually, it's more a property of the OS/fileststem than anything to do with
> multi-user.
>
> Novell would keep deleted files around for weeks if you had enough empty disk
> space (and the right config). I seem to remember it would keep multiple
> versions of old files around if you wanted it to.
>
> Actually, given the size of drives today, it's something that should be
> default on every distro - like other posters have said, we've all done it.

 Is it just me? or is there anybody else who get's angry evertime somebody
 mentions the "given the size or cheapness of..."?

 Well, fighter jets are quick..., there is a lot of unpolluted air
 around..

 And enough braincells..

formi <-(@)-> sdf-eu.org
SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf-eu.org