[Gllug] Some Advice on SUS licencing.

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon Feb 9 11:14:20 UTC 2004

And verily, didst Roger Whittaker announce to the hordes:
> > > David was right: he can copy his friend's CD, support free, without paying
> > > Suse a penny. Similarly, David's friend can charge him whatever he fancies
> > > for handing him that CD, a charge which will no doubt include his costs in
> > > labour, media, whatever.
> >
> > Incorrect.
> > Just because most of the packages in a distribution are GPL does NOT make
> > the whole distro GPL.
>
> Please see my previous mail.  Roughly: you can copy SUSE CDs, but you
> can't copy them and then sell the copies.  The yast licence is fairly
> clear:
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.0/COPYRIGHT.yast

Yeah, that's what I was saying :)
(been using SuSE since 5.2, not upgraded from 8.2 to 9 at home yet. I've
noticed things keep vanishing from the distro over releases that I use
recently... In 7.3 I lost elm (my e-mailer of choice and god, that's a pain
to compile, fortunately the 7.2 rpm still worked), and in 9, where's
mplayer? some or us LIKE commandline tools, and use the console with mplayer
to stream, rather than produce video output, try that with xine...)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk