[Gllug] How to access files on Win platform through Linux

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Feb 13 15:49:38 UTC 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 12:46, Harvey Kelly wrote:
> -------------------
>
> >On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 12:30, gaurav verma wrote:
> > I have installed both Win2000 & RedHat Linux9.0 on my system. How
>
> can I
> copy
>
> > or access the files stored on Win2000 through Linux. Can somebody
> help me
> > please?
>
> Add something like:
> /dev/hda1    /c    vfat    auto,user    0    0

OK - while this is good advice if he has a FAT partition with his data on,
that's not necessarily the case with a Win2K machine (probably NTFS).

Now there is an NTFS driver, but it's read-only, and I don't think it's
included with RedHat 9. However, their website is here:
  http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
and they say something about RPMs on the front-page, so that's a possible
solution.

If you want to read/write data from both Windows and Linux, I'd suggest a FAT
partition of a couple of gigabytes. Or, of course, another hard-disk (handy
if you've recently upgraded).

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd