[Gllug] Re: Kernel

Murray KDE kdeuser234 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 09:26:54 UTC 2004

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Doug Winter
>
> I'd strongly suggest using one of
> the debian distributed binary kernels.

That sounds a lot better for my needs.

One of the reasons I went with 2.4.18-bf2.4 in the
first place was that it supported ext3.

Can I tell if another stock kernel has the same
support that I already use?  Or what I would gain/lose
by upgrading?

Or do I need to look though the source files for the
new kernel package, and compare to my existing file
system?

I was also curious about the difference between 386,
586 and 686.  I'm including incase anyone else is/was

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat/what_does_386_586_686_mean.html

As I have a Pentium 1 with MMX, going for the 686
package would have been bad!  I assume 386 is always
safe, and that using a 586 or 686 version will mean we
take more advantage of the newer processor features,
so it might be a tad faster (compared to the 386
version, all else being equal)?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk