[Gllug] devfs and /dev/tapes

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Jan 11 21:45:27 UTC 2004

My home workstation has a SCSI tape drive.  When the workstation boots,
the tape drive appears in /dev as /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target4/lun0 and
/dev/tapes/tape0.  If the st module is unloaded and then reloaded, the
drive reappears as /dev/tapes/tape1 and the next time as
/dev/tapes/tape2 and so on.  Is this how it is supposed to behave?  I
think it's not the smartest way for devfs to behave.  For all I know,
devfs would do the same with my scsi drives (can't test it as I compile
SCSI hd support into the kernel) but it still seems daft.  It would make
more sense to me if devfs allocated the highest unused number.

--
Bruce

I am now a little wary of bananas.