[Gllug] Recommend an ADSL modem?

Amias Channer me at amias.org.uk
Wed Jan 21 19:52:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:19:08 +0000
Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good replacement DSL modem.

Netgear DG834G - router , firewall , 54g wireless + four port hub

> It must have the following attributes:

> * Good CLI or web-based configuration.

No CLI but the the web gui does the job but could be a lot better

> * Currently supported, and easy to upgrade from Linux, with a vendor who
>   takes security updates seriously.  (Perhaps even open source OS???)

dunno how regularly they update it but , the killer feature is that it runs
linux-2.4.17 on its little mips-malta chip and you can download the sources. [1]

> * Configurable NAT timeout. (Vital this one ...)

Never had any timeout probs , but [1]

> * Port forwarding from external ports to internal machines.

yup , does DMZ via an SPI firewall and supports VPN.

> I've already got a wireless AP and a router so built in wireless and
> 4-port ethernet isn't essential, but might be nice if the price is
> right.

got mine for 135 quid inc vat. from $shop_on_tcr

-- thread hijack alert --

[1] I've been playing with the firmware upgrade image and have ( with help from
peeps on the gllug irc channel) located the filesystem and mounted it via loopback.

It shouldn't be too hard to modify this firmware to make it into a properly kickass
router and support anything you could do with a dedicated  linux|bsd box but
silently .

Anyone with mips experience fancy helping ?

Toodle-pip
Amias
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk