[Gllug] Recommend an ADSL modem?

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 20:05:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:30:55PM +0000, Doug wrote:
> > On Wed 21 Jan Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > > Can you make any recommendations on that?  My experience has been that
> > > cheap routers don't do good passthrough, that of the routers being sold
> > > to the Soho markets the only ones doing good passthrough are the more
> > > expensive ones capable of either offering VPN capability (for example)
> > > or passing it through.
> >
> > I don't know if this is what you mean by passthrough, but I'm running my
> > router in bridging mode, so it bridges pppoa to pppoe, then running
> > pppoe and a pppd on the OpenBSD box, so it's actually that that makes
> > the ppp connection.  Then I can firewall on ppp0 as my internet
> > interface.
>
> No, that's not it.  What I mean by pass-through is that the router
> doesn't interfere with any of the ip traffic passing through it.  Most
> of the cheaper Soho routers either do tricks with NAT and DHCP or have
> incomplete IP stacks.  In both cases, the result is the same: complex IP
> traffic like VPN connections simply don't work through them.
>
> --
> Bruce
>
> I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.

 We had a efficient networks 586X doing nat and some port forwarding, at
 some point it started doing strange things, even though it isn't a cheap
 piece of gear. The only way I found of fixing things was to disable
 almost everything, and use it as a simple bridge.

 It's been stable for a few months with just the odd reboot when I
 remenber about it. At some point I would like to set up a VPN to a
 windows machine, wich obviously is sitting behind the linux nat box.

 Does your statement about VPNs not going through them apply to my
 situation?

  Formi.

 Maybe I'm trying to turn cheese into gold.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk