[Gllug] Starting application on specific desktop (KDE)

Grzegorz Jaskiewicz gj at pointblue.com.pl
Mon Jan 19 13:15:17 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 January 2004 11:01, Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:
> Every morning I log into my main machine at work and run a script I
> wrote called 'goodmorning', which fires up a selection of applications
> (Konsole, Firebird and GKrellM). I've got four desktops in my KDE setup
> and the applications all pop up on the one I am looking at (#1).
>
> Habitually, I keep Firebird and GKrellM on desktop #1 and move Konsole
> to #2. Is there any way to enhance the script so that as well as
> starting the applications I can also target them to specific desktops?
>
> I know about the geometry switch to specify size and starting
> co-ordinates but, despite some searching around on my local system, the
> KDE site and Google, I can't find any clue about how to target them with
> more precision.

KDE supports (gnome too afair) Xfree feature called 'sessions', which
remembers what and where was fired (on which desktop). Some apps will even
remember more details (i.p. konsole). Just logout properly when closing KDE,
and next time you start it, it should bring back 'session'. You might need to
turn something on in kcontrol for that, but afair it does it by default.

--
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
K4 labs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk