[Gllug] Re: Ogle DVD

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Jan 26 11:50:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:38:36AM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Ian Norton writes:
>
> >you might want to give gmplayer a go, it is a fairly good gui for mplayer,
> >allows easy configuration of stuff like frame dropping if you find that it
> >lags somtimes
>
> No, gmplayer is an *awful* GUI. It has fixed size bitmap fonts, tiny
> icons with non-intuitive imagery and no tool tips, breaks pretty much
> every existing desktop metaphor by being gratuitiously different for
> no obvious reason (and no apparent gain), and doesn't play nicely with
> window managers.
>
> xmms, and winamp before it, had legitimate reasons for taking the approach
> they did. Whether you agree with those reasons or not is another matter.
> However, i find it distressing that so many other projects have followed
> the same approach, without having the reasons behind it. Multimedia GUI
> interfaces generally suck these days because of it.

This is why I like Totem - it using the Xine engine, but sticks a
normal GTK/GNOME UI on it - its probably the most usable DVD player
I've found. It also does music playback, but unfortunately they've
not done any work on playlist support in the UI yet.

Dan
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|