[Gllug] Fw: Customising a SuSE 9.0 Install Tree

Roger Whittaker roger at suse.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 14:02:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Huw Lynes wrote:

> Considering the number of SuSE.uk people that hang out on this list I was
> hoping someone would be able to answer these (possibly trivial) questions.

Only 2 of us I think...

> I have a SUSE 9.0 install tree sat on an NFS server so that I can do network
> installs from it. This works fine and I end up with a shiny, workstation using
> XFS.
>
> However I have a number of RPMs, some upgraded some brand-new, that I would
> like to put into this install tree so that subsequant installations will use
> them. Under redhat this is a case of addding the RPMs into $BASE/RedHat/RPMS
> and running /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist $BASE and possibly updating
> $BASE/RedHat/base/comps.xml for brand-new RPMs. I'm assuming there is an
> equivalent functionality within yast2 but I can't find the documentation
> anywhere.

You need to do something like this:
/usr/bin/create_package_descr -d /path_to/install_dir/suse/ -l english

This script is part of the autoyast2-utils package.

This creates the setup directory with a subdirectory descr containing
the files:
packages
packages.DU
packages.en

You need to copy these to the appropriate place on the NFS server.

You may also need to remove the cached copy of this stuff on the machine
you're installing to.

Roger Whittaker  Technical Consultant
SUSE LINUX Ltd   Appleton House
139 King Street Hammersmith London W6 9JG
tel +44(0) 20 8846 3923
mob +44(0) 7866 602 434
fax +44(0) 20 8748 0538
roger.whittaker at suse.com