[Gllug] Production system - Linux 2.4.24, LVM and cciss

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Mon Jan 12 16:31:43 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Simon A. Boggis wrote:
>
> > I would suggest that the proposed system is only good for disaster
> > recovery, because it gives little protection against user error
> > destroying files (or contents) or software or hardware error corrupting
> > files - you only have two backups, which isn't much history if you
> > backup every day, as you should (and if you only backup once a week I
> > hope you're sure that your users don't mind loosing up to a weeks worth
> > of work/mail/whatever!).

What you *really* want is a Hierarchical Storage Management system like SamFS
hooked up to a big tape robot that makes really good whirring and clunking
noises :-)

Sometimes it also functions as a backup and archive system.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk