[Gllug] Production system - Linux 2.4.24, LVM and cciss

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Jan 12 14:24:16 UTC 2004

Rickey Costas writes:

>> I have exactly the same problem with FreeBSD and its ports system.
>> Maintaining one server is fine, maintaining over 50 is a real PITA.
>> Especially when we don't have/want compilers on each machine.
>
>Why dont you build packages on a small set of servers, and install those
>packages on the other servers ?

Because I don't have the time it would take to build the packages. I want
my distribution vendor to have done that for me, so I have a simple binary
I can install. Like Martin, I don't have a compiler installed on my live
machines, so there *has* to be a separate compile server. But the existence
of a separate machine for it doesn't mean that there are enough people to
actually do the work.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk